100 Third St NE Watford City, ND 58854


Teaching & Learning

504 services


Section 504 is an Act that prohibits discrimination against persons with disability in any program that receives federal financial assistance. The Act defines a person with disability as anyone who: Has a mental or physical impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities (major life activities include activities such as walking, breathing, learning, reading, concentrating, thinking, communicating, seeing, speaking, caring for one’s self, working, helping, eating, sleeping, standing, lifting, bending, and operation of a bodily function).

In order to fulfill its obligations under Section 504, the school recognizes a responsibility to avoid discrimination in policies and practices regarding its personnel and students. No discrimination against any person with a disability will knowingly be permitted in any of the programs and practices in the school system.

The school’s responsibilities under Section 504 include identifying, evaluating and, if the student is determined to be identified under Section 504, affording access to appropriate educational services. These accommodations will be determined by the 504 team on an individual basis; not all accommodations are appropriate for all students.

If the parent or guardian disagrees with the determination made by the professional staff of the school, he/she has a right to a hearing with an impartial hearing officer.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) also specifies rights related to educational records. This Act gives the parent or guardian the right to do the following:

  • Inspect and review his/her student’s educational records.
  • Make copies of these records.
  • Receive a list of all individuals having access to those records.
  • Ask for an explanation of any item in the records.
  • Ask for an amendment to any report on the grounds that it is inaccurate, misleading, or violates the student’s rights.
  • Request a hearing on the issue if the school refuses to make the amendment.

If there are questions, please contact one of the principals at your child’s school.

This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.